22 July 2013

The New Look

Before anyone who reads this gets scared, yes, you're at the right place. The Late Duck was badly injured and forced to.....regenerate into The Blue Robe. 

See what I did there. 

I made a Doctor Who reference. 

That's right, dear readers, I've been on a month-long Doctor Who marathon. 

Did I watch the original doctors? 


No, why would I want to subject myself to THAT level of cheesy campy-ness? I'm sorry, but there's no way in real or fictitious Hell I'm ever going near the 20th century versions of the Doctor. I'd laugh my ass off the entire time at how ridiculous everything is. I, like every reasonable sci-fi fan, dove into the 2005 era starting with Christopher Eccleston. I always knew Doctor Who seemed interesting. 

Holy f*ck have I ever been more right in my life. Doctor Who has consumed my month of July. In just three weeks, I've blazed through five series. An entire universe that's been sitting at my doorstep for EIGHT YEARS finally came waltzing into my room. I haven't looked back. Nights spent out at the bars? Psshh, I'd rather be in the TARDIS than a boozy....booze....hall. 

Everyone has their favorite Doctor. Unfortunately for me, I only have three to choose from. Christopher Eccleston made a fantastic (see what I did there again?) Doctor for someone who's trying to ease into the series. He was serious, he was funny, and then gone. I didn't worry for long until the tenth Doctor stepped onto the scene. 

Everyone always raved about David Tennant and I finally saw why. His run as the Doctor was, quite possibly, the best Doctor Who has ever seen. He ran through the gauntlet of emotions: happy, sad, pissed off, love-sick. Tennant made the Doctor feel human while still maintaining the fact he's a Time Lord living with the curse of eternity. I just wanted one more Tennant series. His last line was hard to hear and bear. Three series with him as the Doctor and you get used to his antics. "I don't want to go" echoes just as much with the fans. 


Allons-y...

As far as companions go, Rose was brilliant with both the ninth and tenth Doctor. Her connection with the tenth Doctor gave the stories more weight. I felt grounded in that universe because of the emotions passed between the two. And when the Doctor lost Rose, I teared up a bit. His disconnection with Martha made sense after being separated from someone he felt legitimate feelings (attraction, if not actual love). 

Martha Jones was fun, I will admit. She brought the intellect Rose didn't have (to be fair, she was a med student). The Doctor's reluctance to begin a new relationship, though, prevented from any connection or care to be made. I can say the same or far less for Donna Noble. In fact, this is how I felt most of the time with Donna: 





Or this

Her voice, her attitude, her actions. Dear sweet Gallifrey, how was the Doctor able to stand the bitch? Midnight was a welcomed episode mainly due to she was hardly in the f*cking episode. I would've gone with anyone else but Donna. River Song, Sarah Jane Smith again, but not that daft ginger. 

Going back to the tenth Doctor's regeneration, I really didn't want to move out of the Tennant-era, but after watching Matt Smith as the Eleventh for a bit I started to feel more at ease. Karen Gillan made the transition smoother as Amy Pond. Mainly because she's gorgeous. Amy's character stands out as a companion. Yeah, she runs afoul, but still holds her own or at least doesn't flip the f*ck out like Donna. Arthur Darvill definitely adds his own in ways Noel Clarke's Mickey just couldn't mount up to until well into Series Two. Rory and Amy make for the perfect companion-couple the Doctor needs to make his rounds. I know they won't last forever, but at least throughout the rest of Series Six I'll be content. 

In other non-Whovian news, Pacific Rim's been getting hit with quite a bit of flak. I saw the epic on opening day and found very few red flags. I won't go into heavy review mode as I'm a week late, but in no way did it deserve to be beaten by Grown Ups 2. F*ck that noise. Adam Sandler beat giant mechs opening a can of whoop-ass on under-water aliens? Get me off of the f*cking rock, please. Let's see.......bad-ass robots controlled by two pilots whose minds are melded together laying a whole new brand of hurt down on del Toro-esque aliens (they look the part of the monsters from Pan's Labyrinth, so it's legit and awesome) or Adam Sandler forcing out another steaming pile of bantha poodoo. 

Please, if you're a self-respecting movie-goer, go enjoy Pacific Rim. I want to watch it again on the IMAX screen. 

How can you not love something that looks like this? F*ck you, Sandler. 


All of this regenerating has me exhausted. Maybe a hot cup of tea will put me straight.

I believe a new catchphrase is in order. 

Jolly good? 

No.

Tally-ho?

Not quite.

I have a robe. Mine's blue. What color is yours? 

No comments:

Post a Comment