11 February 2013

The Season Begins

Count DMC as the first major release of the year if you please, but I'm going with Dead Space 3 officially kicking off 2013's gaming season. We'll get to Isaac Clarke shortly. AMC booted up The Walking Dead earlier tonight with an amazing return to Season Three. I've never been so damn happy to turn my television on. We finally get a reason to love Sundays again unless you're into Downton Abbey (nothing against you if that's your fancy). Lucky for fans, Glen Mazzara was part of the season's remainder, so there won't be any confusion leading out of the current story. For those of you who don't know, Mazzara replaced Season One and Two's Frank Darabont after issues with AMC. How Season Four will play out is entirely up to them. 

Let's get right into it and MAJOR SPOILER ALERT!!! The contents below will go into Sunday's episode. 

"The Suicide King" picks right up where Rick and company left off in Woodbury. Their assault on the town rescued both Maggie and Glenn, yet lost Daryl who was captured and tossed into the gladiator pit with his brother, Merle. The Governor, after losing his left eye to Michonne, uses Merle as a scapegoat for the attack and has him fight Daryl to the death. The brothers use the walkers put into the ring as a diversion to escape and meet up with Rick. Given the events that happened in Atlanta during Season Two, Rick and Merle don't exactly see eye-to-eye. Daryl's loyalty is put into question at this point with him choosing to side with Merle as he's actual "family" rather than a tight-knit group. 

Tyreese, in my opinion, did his best to persuade the group they pose no harm. By "them", I refer to Sasha, Alan (straight from the comics), and Ben (who looks similar to the Ben from Telltale's game). From Alan's attire to his losing Donna, I can tell his part in the series will be close to the comics. As far as Tyreese, I honestly want to see him to his full capacity as Rick's right-hand man like in the comics. Chad Coleman does a damn fine job bringing life to my favorite character from the graphic novel. The series has plenty of time left to include his bad-ass "lock me in the gym full of zombies" panel. Whether or not he dies at the hands of the Governor is still unknown same with Rick's hand going the way of Luke Skywalker's. 

While I loved this episode, I'm still annoyed with the portrayal of Andrea and Michonne, two of the most bad-ass female characters from the comics. Andrea was a gun-toting, scotch-swilling, Rambo in the novels and Michonne was more than helpful on multiple occasions. Instead, we have the town bicycle and a pantomime with a katana. There's still time in the season, so maybe we'll see justice done to their characters. Why can't they be more like Carl? There's bad-ass in pint-size. 

And Rick's freak-out sesh at the end? Watch out, Tyreese. Let the man wind down for a bit. 

In other exciting nerd news, Skyfall and Aliens: Colonial Marines both hit shelves on Tuesday. I'll have both and my reviews for the new releases by week's end. 

Now, the big moment. I promised a review for Dead Space 3 and I have delivered! Launching almost a week ago, Visceral's latest and last (maybe) inclusion in the survival horror series made out like an ace in the hole. This is Dead Space through and through. Every element from the previous installments is back and then some. While I won't reveal the story, this much can be said. Grab a buddy and hit up the co-op. Certain elements to the campaign are unlocked when teaming Isaac up with Carver. Yes, enemies are more abundant, but you can share spare parts/salvage. The upgrade system is easier to navigate opting on circuits rather than power nodes. Various circuits offer various bonuses such as +2 Damage and +2 Clip size. The possibilities are limitless and I mean limitless. The universe is the limit with weapon designs. I've dismantled and assembled hundreds of combinations. My favorite (apart from the DLC Evangelizer) is my own creation: A fully automatic bull-pup with a fully automatic rivet gun that fires electrified bolts. Another paired an assault rifle with a flamethrower. Or how about a submachine gun with an under-barrel tesla cannon? Or maybe a force gun with a chain lightning gun? Make what you please to tear through the Necromorph hordes. 

New suits are available at the start of most of the chapters with each looking more bad-ass than the last. As with the last two games, you can use spare parts this time to upgrade your RIG and I highly suggest doing so. Those Regenerators aren't so keen on a light tap on the shoulder. A new addition is the Scavenger bot. Equip this little guy and follow the ping to launch the bot to collect parts. They automatically deposit their loot at any bench for you to collect. 

The story, without spoiling much, is the best in the series. Locations take you from the hostile Hoth-like Tau Volantis to a zero-gravity junkyard/graveyard and even the innards of some unlikely hosts. Isaac is thrown through the ringer yet again and probably earns the reward of "Most Likely to be F*cked with on Multiple Occasions". If I were him, the words "You've got the be F*CKING kidding me!" would echo everywhere......even space. Sure, let's go on a goddamn suicide mission that will more than likely tear me limb from limb just like the last two joyful adventures I've been on. Oh, Isaac, the shit you go through for our virtual enjoyment. 

Now, for the rating: I give Dead Space 3 the top quarter of "Get the f*ck off the couch and buy this". This means DS3 has just earned the very first "Crashed Moose" of 2013. What is a "Crashed Moose" you ask? It's my trophy giveaway thingy. 

For now, until I perfect my Photoshop skills, this image will be dubbed "The Crashed Moose" because the game is that awesome it looks like a moose wrecking a car. 

Congratulations, Isaac! You've earned it...if you're even still alive, that is...

The Crashed Moose award!

I will waive my customary send-off in lieu of a newer one.

This is Crash waiting for the Moose signing off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment