13 May 2012

Another Post?!?! Sure, I love reading my own writing!

With yet another twentieth-century television series receiving the silver screen treatment, audiences of today's generation are witness to what might now be considered relics. I speak of Tim Burton's rather Gothic take on Dark Shadows originally written by Dan Curtis. 


From what I've heard of the series, Burton's iteration falls way the hell away from the tree. This doesn't come to the conclusion a film must always be terrible. Quite the contrary, the fams and I enjoyed this dark comedy with hilarity sprinkled throughout well enough to lighten Burton's typical "I really want some razor blades and lemon juice" depressive feeling. 


Speaking of Tim Burton and related vampiric lore, Seth Grahame-Smith's novel Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter will be due out toward the end of June. I bring this up for a particular point. Dark Shadows involved Grahame-Smith with the task of screenplay composition. His vampiric elements present in Vampire Hunter are reflect with Johnny Depp's Barnabas Collins. He manages daylight, but with the restrictions of wearing dark glasses and carrying a black parasol (umbrella) to shield his now-sensitive skin. Vampires of Grahame-Smith's creation are forced to do identical actions. This offers a sort of "preview of coming attractions" which I believe he intended (or at least I hope he did). 


All-in-all, I applaud those involved with Dark Shadows. While the critics disapproved for the majority, they can keep their pretentious mouths shut while I take a stab (pun? See what I did there? Stab? Because you have to...yeah, too far). 


Anyway, if you haven't already, make time to catch Dark Shadows and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter when it hits theatres 22 June 2012. A full-length review and comparison with the book will arrive shortly thereafter. 


As an added treat, here are both trailers for the above mentioned films. Enjoy and stay tuned! 




Dark Shadows: 



Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter- Trailer #2


Oh, and what exactly DO you do with a BA in English? #81: Read Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter because it relates to this post and is actually a highly charged retelling of our nation's beloved stove-top hat wearing "Honest Abe". 

No comments:

Post a Comment