12 May 2012

Two Posts in One Day?!?! Oh, Snap!

I believe, at this early point in my blogging history, no one is currently following the material, but should I be concerned about that entirely? 


Hells no.


Besides that randomly inserted point, I recently had the pleasure of taking a Nineteenth-century music class at UNT. You know:  Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann, Rossini, Verdi, Brahms, Bruckner, Wagner, Paganini, Mendelssohn, Liszt, Debussy, Strauss, Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky and the rest of the "Mighty Five", and so on. Now that you're (most likely) relatively confused and/or thrown off the sense wagon, allow me to explain what has just been established as a mental explosion onto a digital interface. 


Nineteenth-century music contained primarily symphonic compositions performed often by orchestras or (drum-roll, please) a symphony which included brass and woodwind instruments. One such composer who you might know well, Ludwig von Beethoven, began this heavy symphonic tradition followed by pretty much damn near EVERY other composer after him. If you've seen The King's Speech, then you're sure to recognize this little number: 


Beethoven's Symphony No. 7




Honestly, I cannot count on my hands and toes the number of times I've listened to this piece. Of his compositions, the Seventh has a special place in my heart next to Shepherd Book's oh-so-special line from Our Mrs. Reynolds


Unfortunately, my instructor was correct saying this music performed by now-dead composers for now-dead audiences (kind of morose, right?)falls deaf to most modern ears. My lamentations aside, don't forget the might of the symphony and don't forget what you CAN do with a BA in English despite literature having nothing at all to do with this post. 


#2: There is a spoon....and you use it for Cheerios. Also, Cheerios help lower cholesterol and better reading habits (maybe, just consult your dietician and literary professor). 

No comments:

Post a Comment